Thursday, July 10, 2008

Current Project

Refinishing my dining set is the project currently keeping me busy. We have a very nice antique dining set, but it was in desperate need of refinishing. Any time the table got water on it, it would leave a stain. That was the decisive issue I had with the set. I'm a little OCD when it comes to the things in my home and I just couldn't stand that it looked worse after I cleaned it than before. Plus, I wanted to recover the chairs because I was over my maroon phase. 

I absolutely love home improvement projects. I caught the bug in high school when I ripped up the ugly brown carpet in my bedroom of my parents house and refinished the original hard wood floors. So although this task is taking longer than I anticipated (dont' they always) I am enjoying every minute. It gives me a chance to clear my head and refocus. At this point I have the four chairs refinished and recovered, and the table top sanded. I am going to have to strip the legs of the table since they have intricate lathe work. But it is coming along. 

So there is my excuse for not posting in a while. I have pictures for proof! ;-)



The original chair - before I worked my magic

After sanding

After two coats of "ebony" stain and two coats of poly-crylic

Done - I know... I'm good

The GORGEOUS, $69.99 per yard, special order fabric that I got for $6.00 per yard



4 comments:

Shannon said...

Thanks so much for introducing yourself and your kind words. I would love it if you "linked" your blog to mine, the more the merrier I say! I also noticed that Kristen and Trev are on you links- they're really great friends of ours. Anyway, I'll check in occasionally too, oh yes, and the chair looks great- I have some projects lurking that I might be posting too.

Shannon

Anonymous said...

I guess I could post that the chairs look fabulous here! I was just following Erie :) I love the chairs! It looks like you have put lots of time and effort into them!~

Nadine said...

Very cool! I love the feeling of accomplishment with those kind of projects. Enjoy your beautiful dining set!

Kristen said...

Great job with the chair! Beautiful! You'll have to take a picture of the whole set when you are done.