Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Often I wish I could ask her what she is thinking. A part of her personality it very intense and contemplative. It is curious to watch and daydream about what she is focusing on and what she thinks about. I also wonder how much she will reveal once she is able to communicate freely. I see her maintaining a degree of mystery and reserve throughout her life.

Writing this makes me question my idiosyncrasies as a child, what traits my mom identified in me when I was young and how she thought they would translate as I grew into adulthood.

I was recently reading about a father who keeps what he calls a "Legacy Letter." Daily, he writes a quick something regarding whatever is on his mind or currently going on in their lives. What prompted him to start the log was the fact that his parents didn't remember specifics when he became interested in knowing what life was like, and what he was like, when he was a child. The log was his solution to the possibility that he may forget the details eventually.

What a brilliant (and dedicated) idea. And what a treasure it will be to that kid, when he receives it.

1 comment:

Momma Mo said...

Watching her grow is like a step back in time. I remember watching you page thru catalogs and magazines and wondering what you were thinking about. And there's the same intensity whether happy or sad or mad. I wish I had kept a journal, but seeing Sissy grow triggers many memories...and memories in the making. That's why I love you!