Tuesday, March 3, 2009

One Day, Two Trips to the Park





Yesterday was stunning in Portland. So gorgeous that we made two trips to the park. It was 58 degrees and the sunshine created friends out of strangers and smiles out of frowns. Every time we get a day like this one I think, "This is why I live in the Pacific Northwest. No place compares to the beauty found here."  (Have I said this before. Probably. I think it all the time.)

Talya loves being outside. Last spring and summer she was so little and couldn't do much when we were outside. Now, though, she loves swinging, sitting in the grass and feeling its tickle, and trying to climb up the slide. She even tries pushing the screen door open at the smell of a sunny afternoon.

We all know how Matthew loves being outdoors. Heck - he doesn't even mind if it's raining. I can't keep him cooped up for long before symptoms of stir-crazy set in. And that is bad for all of us. :)

A special note regarding the top photo of Matthew: To most, Matthew's smile probably looks forced and inauthentic. But I know the truth. This is the "I love you, Mommy" smile. The smile that lets me know that my son is proud of himself, glad to be who he is. A smile that says he knows that I love him to the moon. I cherish these smiles. They make me feel like the luckiest person on the planet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what awesome pictures!!! they both look like they fully enjoy every part of a nice day!!! i wish i could have been there with you guys!!! hope to see ya or hear from you soon!!!

Anonymous said...

Mo, what a fantastic blog! great pics , what a nice family you have. i can't believe how often you post on here-that's awesome! i have you on my bookmarks and i'm going to start checking this all the time!
take care,
Joey